Type : Hill Fort
Region : Nashik
Height : 0
Both of these forts are said to have been built during the latter half of the fourteenth century, when the Bahamani dynasty (1347-1490) established its power over the Deccan.
The two forts passed into the possession of the Ahmadnagar kings (1490-1636) on the disintegration of the Bahamani territories towards the close of the fifteenth century. In 1627 they fell into the hands of the Delhi Emperors and in 1671, during Aurangzeb's reign, Moropant Pingle took them for Shivaji.
Next year Mahabat Khan re-captured the forts, only to lose them in 1675 when Diler Khan, the Moghal general, was defeated by Moropant. From thence onwards till the British conquest in 1818, the Marathas never lost their grip on these strong-holds. Both Shivaji and the Peshvas used to maintain an irregular force of militia for their defence.
How to Reach :
Aundah, on the south-west boundary of Sinnar taluka, about 16 km. (ten miles) south of Devlali, the nearest railway station, is a natural stronghold ending in a sharp cone with no traces of any built fort. The rock-cut steps that formerly led up this cone have since long been destroyed, and the summit to-day remains almost inaccessible. On the opposite hill some fine six-sided basalt pillars stand out from the hill side. A curious trap dyke also stretches in a series of low mounds for some kilometres from the foot of Aundah towards Kavnai. About 3.21 km. (two miles) south of Aundah, stands Pattah, a larger bluff lying within the Ahmadnagar boundaries. It has a fiat top, rising in one place to a low peak, below which there is a large chamber cut in rock serving as an ideal camping place in the hot weather. The two strong-holds with the joining ridge form a regular arc facing northwards. The arc includes the valuable forests of Bhandardara about 16 km. (ten miles) south-east of Belgaon Kurhe.