In the absence of records it has not been possible to determine as to who built these forts.
Badshaha Nama states that Khvaja Abul Hasan who was sent to reduce Nasik, Trimbak and Sangamner with 8,000 horse in 1629 had halted in the vicinity of Alang in the village of Dhaliya to pass the rainy season.
In 1760 they were probably ceded by the Moghals to the Peshva along with many other Nasik forts.
In 1818 they passed on to the British from the Peshva.
To the east of Alang lies the steep pass know n as Navara-Navari or Husband and Wife, from two curious pillars of rock that jut up from the ridge dividing the Nasik and Ahmadnagar districts.
The pass, though very difficult, is passable on foot.
How to Reach
Kulang and Alang on the Ahmadnagar frontier about 16 km. (ten miles) south-east of Igatpuri station, are two miles (3.21 km.) distant from each other; Alang being almost entirely in the Ahmadnagar district. Their tops are inaccessible, the old way of approach having been destroyed. The two blocks are separated by the smaller mass of Madangad which was also rendered inaccessible, probably in 1818, by the destruction of the rough staircase leading to it through a cleft in the almost perpendicular rock.
Though Alang can be climbed, the path is not only difficult but dangerous at places. The crags in this range are perhaps the steepest and hardly afford foothold for any but the smallest brushwood. Under strict conservancy the ledges between the chief scarps show better growth.